Re: [TCML] SRSG setup and adjusting

Gary,

I do have a 3600 rpm motor (I bought it from you :) ). I will have to post some updated pictures on my blog, but I basically have it setup to be configurable for 120 or 240 bps (I wanted to experiment with effects).

Thanks for the insight...I wasn't sure if the tank cap would affect the phasing of the RSG but now I know and will save a lot of time trying to get it right without the cap.

When I set the two safety gaps, I had the motor off and the RSG electrodes separated with just the NST bank connected and set to just not fire.

Also, I didn't even think about being able to use the full 120 mA from my NST bank and just discharge twice as fast (240 bps). I was just going to charge my .03 uF tank with half of my bank connected. Now I will have more experimentation to do until I feel like spending the money to increase my tank cap size.

Thanks a lot for the help and insight!

Jeremy

Hi Jeremy,

You mentioned that you have 4 electrodes, 90 degrees apart.  Is your motor
3600 RMP?  If so, you should only have two electrodes, 180 degrees apart.
This assumes you're looking for 120 BPS.  Having 4 electrodes will give you
240 BPS with a 3600 RPM motor.  That will work, but I don't think that the
performance will be as good.

Setting the motor phase must be done with the tank capacitor installed, as
that changes the phasing radically.  Even changing the NST Variac will
change the phase.  If you want to experiment with setting the motor phase
without tuning considerations and sparks, replace the primary coil with a
halogen lamp dummy load (previously discussed).  You don't need the pri &
sec coils to adjust the phase, but you must have the cap present,
discharging into either the pri/sec coils, or a dummy load.

As far as safety gap firing - it's critical that the tank capacitor be
appropriately sized for the NST(s) used.  If the cap is too small, the cap
will charge to a dangerously high voltage and (hopefully) the safety gaps
will fire. For a 15kV/120mA supply, your cap should be at least .05uF.  But
running at 240BPS would eliminate the hazard if you just don't have that
large a cap available. Kudos to you for not just readjusting the safety gap
so it stops firing!

I'll check my phase control Variac resistance later tonight.  If you suspect
that the wiper contact is poor and the cause of excess resistance, you'll
definitely want to fix or repair that.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA