Re: [TCML] Rotating spark gap

Hi Cole,
     Short answer no, it depends on your system design, and mainly
your power supply current and capacitor size.  My best system runs
best at 750-900 BPS!  But it is high current and uses a smallish
capacitor (250+mA and 80 nF.)  Conventional wisdom is for current
limited supply it is both safest and gives best results to use a
synchronous spark gap, I disagree on the grounds that capacitors
charge faster when they are empty (so there is potential for greater
energy processing through forcing increased current draw, though
opponents correctly argue if a capacitor is half charged when the end
of the 60 Hz cycle happens that is wasted power) and higher break
rates do give longer sparks from the spark growth phenomenon.  With
that said, I've never tried both on optimized systems, (like a LTR
SRSG on an NST, Vs a STR ASRSG on the same NST.)  SRSG is safer for
the transformer, but if you use free transformers anyway, who cares?
Probably the best way is to go the DC route, high energy processing
and freedom of BPS, but I've never tried that either, oh well...

Scott Bogard.