RE: [TCML] DC tesla coil

Hello,

The charging inductor I use on my DC-coil is made of 8 conventional fluorescent ballasts (58 watt types)in series.
1 ballast can take 1.5kV easily.

These ballasts have an air gap. Performance is great, much better then with my self-wound inductor (on a MOT core).
Total inductance is about 5 Henries.

My power supply is 6kV (2 MOT's bridge rectified) and I use 28 caps of 220uF/450v in series/parallel for a total of 30uF filtering.

I also succeeded in building a triggerable SISG (15 stages @ 1kV each) and I know I'll NEVER go back to a spark gap!
The triggerable sisg allows me to modulate the streamers (ie music)or produce single shots.

The great advantage of the sisg is that you can work with low voltages (relatively speaking, that is)
and it is less complex then a DRSSTC...

Never bad to read from other coilers, I made my TC reading tons of TCML messages, however this is my first post.

Richie's website is a MUST if you go DC-coiling, got great help from there too...

Cheers,

Michael (Belgium)