[TCML] Simple TC Tuning Tool

Hi all,

I've built a little circuit wich performs great in finding the perfect 'tap
point' on the primary of a TC.
I got the idea after seeing (and building) the SISG circuit by Terry Fritz.

A simple transistor (BD139) with an anti-parallel diode (Schottky) is pulsed
by a 555 timer.

http://picturehosting.com/images/caspina/tctuningtool10.jpg

http://picturehosting.com/images/caspina/tctuningtool20.jpg

Circuit ground and (open) Collector of BD139 must be connected to the spark
gap (static, rotary, sisg,...).
Keep these wires short and thick.
The 555 output can be used to trigger the scope.
Apply some low voltage (10 -  30 Volts ) via a resistor (I use 56 ohms/5W )
where normally the power supply of the TC is connected and with the scope
you can clearly see ring up/down over the Primary.
With a DC resonant charging TC (like mine) there is the advantage of the
voltage being boosted (replace de-q-diode temporarily with a 1N4007).
With only 12V supply I can even create tiny sparks to a grounded wire !

Caution: it's a DC tuning-tool, watch polarity!

Cheers,

Michael.