From: "G Hunter" <dogbrain_39560@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:16:24 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Wire and coating

Hi Jay,

You probably used oil-based clear polyurethane "spar" varnish. This stuff goes on crystal clear and makes a very durable finish. I used it on most of my secondaries. However, it does tend to take on a yellowish or orange-ish tint as it ages.

One time I used clear gloss enamel spray paint. I think it was a cheap, generic brand from Wal-Mart (Krylon? Color Time? Can't recall). I'm not sure which polymer "enamel" is based on. To prevent runs, I turned the coil slowly on my coil winder as I sprayed on the finish. I applied several light coats, allowing it to dry between each coat. This yielded a clear, glossy, glass-like finish that did not yellow. Held up fine in service too.

Good Luck,

Greg