Re: [TCML] RE: longer sparks?

Etienne,
I've found like many others here that spark gap and top load are infinitely important to a well functioning coil. Grounding is not so important to performance, as it is to coil longevity (transformers will break down from RF injected into the supply) and of course the safety of electronics on the other end of the line. An ARSG should help a lot, John Freu figured out a formula of how to size your top load, it is approximately .5 - .9 * SQRT of input watts = capacitance in pF for best performance, this is likely based in part off of the "standard" geometries we use (4.5/1 ratio, 1000-1500 turns, etc...) Just my two cents, others should have proper advice like gap designs etc.

Scott Bogard.
http://bogard.110mb.com/TeslaCoil.htm