From: "Weinhold Shannon L" <Shannon.L.Weinhold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 28, 2011 3:20:46 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Spray Paint an HV

Yep, it works ok. I painted a few of my coils with fire engine red
krylon and never had a problem. Looked better than the botched up epoxy
job. ;)
Note on spray painting acrylic...if you don't rough it up it will peel
and cause all sorts of nightmarish painting situations....sandpaper the
heck out of it, paint a light first coat, let it dry *completely*, and I
mean let it sit the whole 24 hours at the right temp, then spray a more
generous layer, and so on.
I spray painted two custom made acrylic boxes and they looked
beautiful...until they started bubbling and streaking.
Oh, I remember...after my red paint had dried I sprayed it with clear
coat, which made the whole thing bubble. Its no fun trying to convince
half dry spray paint to come off of your pretty acrylic. I ended up
having to spray probably 10 layers of paint to cover up the mess from
the bubbling that I couldn't get off of the box with paint thinner.
Maybe it was just an incompatible top coat, maybe it wasn't as dry as I
thought it was...anyway, it would pay to do a test run on a scrap piece
just to see how it reacts. Also, some chemicals will cause acrylic to
cloud over..so be cautious of that.
One more interesting note, silver polish will polish acrylic if you
scratch is up.
That's my two cents.

Shannon Weinhold

"Our virtues and our failings are inseparable, like force and matter.
When they separate, man is no more."
~Nikola Tesla