Re: [TCML] CW magnifier

Hey, Carlos,

Any type of Tesla coil can work CW. There is no electrical difference between a magnifier and a regular TC. However, you would have to drive it with a solid state or tube type driver, since there is no way to quench a spark gap fast enough to achieve a rep rate of 100 or 200 KHz. If you can figure out how to do that, you would be able to buy as many Tesla coils as you want. For a small or medium sized coil, I would recommend a half- or full-bridge driver made with FETs. The bridge circuit protects the FETs from spikes and is very robust. From personal experience, at these frequencies it is necessary to make sure that the connection between the driver and the gate is VERY low inductance. Also, there must be a short dead time between the phase one and phase two clocks to avoid shorting the power supply through the FETs.

It would be very cool to see what such a TC would do.

---Carl

Hi
I am just wondering if anyone knows if a "magnifier" style tesla coil can
be built using CW, or does the principle only work with pulsed coils?
My understanding of them is they perform best with a low impedance driver
(primary tank/seconday coil), with a very short duration (fast quenching)
pulse...
Anyone tried CW with it...?

Carlos