Re: [TCML] increasing spark length help

 Hi,

Welcome to the wonderful world of coiling.

There are some key considerations regarding spark length.

1)  Use an LTR value capacitor, for maximum spark length while still
"protecting" the NST.

2)  The spark gap is the heart of a TC.  A vortex or sucker gap, or a
synchronous rotary spark gap, will help to get the most from an NST.

3)  For longest sparks, power the NST from a 140V voltage "step-up" type
variac.  However this does stress the NST somewhat.

4)  The toroid must be large enough.  To get long sparks from a 15/60 NST,
the toroid should be at least 5" x 26".  If the toroid is so small that you get
multiple streamers coming off, then these streamers will tend to be shorter.
Longest sparks will occur when the toroid is large enough so that only
a single streamer is produced.  However a full "head" of sparks may look
more impressive even if they are somewhat shorter in length.

5)  Final tuning must be done at full power by trial and error.  Shut down the
system, move the tap point a little, and then power up again.  I assume you
did this already.

6)  Safety first.  Unplug the power while you work on the coil, etc.

No special tuning or troubleshooting methods or o'scopes are needed
generally for longest sparks.  I assume that the NST is undamaged, giving
good output from both sides, without internal shorts or carbon tracks.

          http://futuret.110mb.com

Cheers,
John