RE: [TCML] Spark Gap Tests

Cole,

I agree with Gary, since all of the things he mentioned have proven true, countless times. Of course, there is the fact that, for a low-power coil, heating of the spark gap will be of little concern, especially with such a large conductor of heat as a doorknob (great thermal mass and a fair amount of surface area).

As for concern with toxic fumes from stainless steel, aren't the nitrates from the ionisation of air toxic, as well? Just keep runs short and you shouldn't have a problem - it's not like you're working in a coal mine.

As for Gary's assessment that 'tungsten is best', I would have to respectfully disagree, on some accounts. In low-power applications, copper offers a greater surface for gap conduction, which means a more-regular break-rate when not using a rotary gap, and is more conductive - electrically and thermally - than tungsten. If you could manage to find some copper of any sort - if we're talking less than 1.5KW of power - it should be up to the task, given it's of sufficient thermal mass and thickness.

In practice, copper pipe works quite well. Two bars in parallel, with a fan blowing on them from the side, the top, or what have you.

Best of luck,

 - Christopher