Re: [TCML] making an ozone generator for a car engine

On 11/13/11 10:34 AM, James Hutton wrote:

Basically what I am trying to do is look for an alternative to nitrous oxide for cars, and just generally make the engine more efficient.Since ozone is a powerful oxidizer like nitrous oxide, it should provide much more powerful explosions. The problem with nitrous oxide cartridges is that theyre expensive and need to be refilled.
But an ozone generator wouldnt need to be refilled, and it could run off the car battery.I was thinking I could make a setup kind of like a sucker gap for a tesla coil, and feed the ozone into the air intake of the engine.
so I need to make the most ozone possible using only a car battery so that I can convert as much of the air going into the engine to ozone as possible.And it doesnt matter how much power it drains out of the battery because the ozone generator would only ever be used while driving.yesterday I made a ZVS flyback driver and hooked it up to the battery in my dad's car. After tweaking and changes, the biggest spark I got was about 1 inch from the HV lead to the pins.I really dont think thats enough to supply much ozone to a car engine. So I'm just looking for the best setup that could be run off of a car battery that would give me the max ozone possible.

You need to do a bit of stoichiometry...calculate the amount of oxidizer you need.

Running nitrous as an oxidizer (or propylene oxide, for that matter) you need flow rates in the "pounds/minute" kind of range. Typical engine nitrous systems inject *liquid* N2O to get enough into the system.

In rough terms, most hydrocarbon powered engines run fuel specifics of about 1/2 pound/HP/hr. That is, a 200 HP engine consumes about 100 lb of fuel/hr (and oxidizer in proportion). Jacking your 200HP engine up to 400HP (a typical sort of nitrous thing), means you're doubling the fuel flow + with the N2O supplying the oxygen to match. The flash vaporization of the N2O also helps reduce the charge temperature, increasing its density so you get better volumetric efficiency (and reduced detonation, too)

I also don't know that Ozone is a good choice of oxidizer.. it's really toxic, really corrosive, etc. compared to something fairly benign like N2O.

Jim, i was thinking this could be a good basef project. As of now, this is for my gr.12 chem project.I was thinking once this is all done, a good way to test it is by using it on a generator and measuring the increase in voltage coming out of it for how much gas being used.And i'll have to test the effects of ozone oxidizing the metal parts in the engine.
but anyways, I need as much ozone as possible from a car battery. If anyone knows how I could improve the ZVS (http://www.instructables.com/id/ZVS-Driver/) output, or if anyone knows a better way to make as much ozone as possible, let me know! thanks :)

I'd suggest you run some numbers to see how much ozone you need, rather than a sort of qualitative "as much as possible".

And we're getting pretty far afield for TCML.. you might want to ask the folks on a more general HV forum.