Re: [TCML] Using thyristor to dump energy in one half cycle?

On 16:59, vatercox@xxxxxxx wrote:
Dear List,
I am asking if it would be possible to use a thyristor or thyratron as the switching element in a TC if it could be arranged that all the energy in the primary cap would be "dumped" (i.e. the capacitor completely discharged) within one half-cycle of the oscillatory period. I am under the impression that thyratrons and thyristors (possibly excepting  hydrogen thyratrons) are in the main considered practically useless for TC  due a reputation for "slow" switching. Would some kind of "hard" switching -e.g. extended application of the gate current in an SCR after the primary cap had discharged- be able to accomplish this and if so would it be of any benefit?
Something like this was discussed about 10 years ago, and was the start of many forms of "solid state tesla coils":
http://www.hvlabs.hu/zpe/Gruz/forum_matrix.ru/5/SISG.pdf
Operation in a single cycle is practically impossible.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz