From: "bturner@xxxxxxxx"<bturner@xxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, 22 November 2011 1:50 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] SCR tesla coil

Has a lot to do with the trigger (gate) capacitance I would figure. Other
point is that an SCR only conducts in one direction, thus defeating the
whole idea of a spark gap. Perhaps in some sort of a PWM DC style,
changing the duty cycle of the current pulse into the primary tank
circuit...

- b

Dear List
I understand the rate of change in current with time (dI/dt) in the
switching device in a TC is considerable. Is it still the case that only
The SCRs capable of handling such severe duty are those with
"interdigitated" gate construction e.g GTOs or has modern SCR technology
changed this. Would a modern modern hockey-puck SCR such as the one
described  here
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Capsule-thyristor-N195CH12-390A-ITav-/320794404043?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item4ab0d624cbwith
ratings of 1200V and 390A be of running at least a small TC would the
turn-on still be too slow?

Jolyon