From: "dave pierson" <dave_p@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Tesla list" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 8:59:12 PM
Subject: [TCML] Tesla Coils in the news

[At Moderator Discretion...
Anyone know who built these?]

Tampa Bay LIGHTNING

http://www2.tbo.com/news/opinion/2011/oct/14/4/forum-getting-formidable-facelift-ar-272182/

"Have you seen the Tesla coils?" asked Lightning CEO Tod Leiweke.

But the show-stoppers either hang from the ceiling or sit on a raised
platform.

First, we'd like to introduce you to the coils, the Tesla coils,
originally named for Nikola Tesla, who is not a right winger for the
Vancouver Canucks, but one of the fathers of electricity and invention,
who roughly 120 years ago, bored out of his skull, no doubt, designed a
coil that produced high voltage, low current, high frequency
electricity, or: lightning.

The coils hang, 20 feet long, like death rays from the ceiling in the
northwest and southeast corners of the Forum, though they apparently are
quite safe. Still, when the switch is flipped, each Forum coil generates
1.8 million watts of electricity in two directions, producing lightning
bolts last seen in old or young Frankenstein movies, plus an all-its-own
buzz that sounds like the world's two largest bug zappers. It's quite
the electrical deal.

[eg above should be
....1.8 million VOLTS...?]

--