Re: [TCML] How to Fix Damaged Secondary

Hi Amir,

What kind of varnish did you use?

With my older coils, I used polyurathane, coating every 3 hours till the coil was smooth. The inner coats stayed somewhat liquid for years. Having a breakdown, the coil would ooze a bit, and recover the damage, with very few problems afterwards. As long as the wires aren't melted together, a little clean up, and recoating may be all you need.

Worse case, you may have to cut a few turns out and splice.

You may want to also reduce coupling.

David Weiss

When testing at about 5 Kw, I noticed some arcing one individual turn at exactly one point about 12" on the secondary. Upon examination, there is a small burn mark at the point on the turn where it was arcing. At this point on the wire, the varnish is melted and has left the point exposed. I have re-varnished the entire coil already. Is there anything I can do to "heal" the damaged point to prevent further arcing? I was originally planning to step up the power to about 12 Kw, but I might have to hold off, or possibly reduce coupling. Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your kindness,

Amir Mojarradi