Re: [TCML] IGBT Module

On 9/6/11 12:16 AM, Carlos Van Camp wrote:
Ouch!! Yeah, I was thinking they would be expensive, but thats about
twice my estimate!
Stil, if I have to have it then not much choice...

I am planning to use it to switch on and off the cathode of a VERY large
Musical Valve coil.
My bench top coil is peaking out at 1200v accros the transistor,so I am
expecting much higher volts when running the bigger machine.

Cathode modulator tube? Dig up a copy of a technical report ( a book really) from Los Alamos National Lab by William North, "High Power Microwave Transmitters" It's available as pdf in various places on the web.. usually known as "north report". Let me know off-list and I can send you a copy if you can't find it (it used to be available from LANL in their "library without walls", but budget cuts and 9/11 resulted in that being disrupted.. haven't checked recently to see if it's back)

Anyway, that book will give you lots of ideas on modulating your power oscillator.

Another source for ideas would be the "Rad Lab" series from MIT. Also intermittently available online

In any case, you've already got HV around, so an inexpensive power grid tube operated as a switch might be the way to go. A lot of tubes can run pretty high power in pulsed switch mode, because the plate dissipation is lower.