Re: Re: [TCML] Re: Simple SSTC topology

On 16:59, Greg Young Morris wrote:
Sorry, I might not have been clear in what I was referring to.

The primary and secondary coil configuration and geometry aside, I was more
interested in the single MOSFET driver circuit. If this configuration would
work (and intuitively, I also suspect it would), why would anyone go to the
bother of creating an H-bridge driver circuit?

The drawing shows a basic flyback circuit (the coils are just in schematic representation. They are not one besides the other). This is not a Tesla coil. The idea is to turn on the mosfet until the primary current reaches a certain level and then to switch it off. A large voltage pulse then appears over the primary coil, and if the coupling between the coils is good, across the secondary coil too, with the voltage multiplied by the turns ratio and the energy absorbed by the secondary capacitance. In practice, the coupling is not perfect, and something must clip the pulse at the primary side. In this case the avalanche diode of the mosfet, that will soon get very hot. Usually, a capacitor is added across the primary coil to limit the amplitude of the pulse, and then a diode across the mosfet (maybe the intrinsic avalanche diode) returns unused energy to the power supply. It is possible to operate this device as something similar to a Tesla coil with adjustments in the primary and secondary capacitances, inductances, and coupling, but the resulting element values required result similar to the ones of a TV flyback circuit, or a classical induction coil.

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz