Re: [TCML] Van de graff generator help

On 4/11/2012 2:37 PM, James Hutton wrote:
Hey guys, this might be the wrong place to ask, and I understand if this is rejected but I need some help with a van de graff generator I'm working on.
In almost every generator I've seen, the top comb is inside the top load. I was wondering if it is 100% necessary for the comb to be inside. I was hoping to have the comb about half a foot underneath the bottom of the metal dome so that people can see what is happening. Then the comb will be attached to a wire that goes directly to the dome about half a foot above.

Thanks for the help!

I would try a series of 4 or 6 evenly spaced small windows in the bottom half of your sphere. What I find more fun than a Van De Graf generator and invented long before the VDG is the Wimshurst machine. Everything is very visible on it. I've thought about building one that was driven by a stationary bicycle, that had 3 or 4 foot diameter disks. I still might one day.

Don