Re: [TCML] Secondary Damage (Large Coil)

HI, Steve,

The only advantage to this fix is that it doesn't leave a spot with larger diameter or with only one layer of insulation, and that it's invisible from any distance.

My form is made of cardboard 12" dia. and 30" long. It has seven of these fixes and none of them are misbehaving. Fortunately I now have a PVC form and have retired the old (21 years) cardboard coil. Well done, good and faithful servant.

---Carl

PS--I also wind my coils bifilar with monofilament nylon fishing line of the same dia. to increase interturn insulation and to lower distributed capacitance. It also makes this fix easier. It's surprisingly easy to wind.

Carl,

I would not suggest this fix.  Sure the electric field is all vertical
or longitudinal as you say, but that doesnt mean it wont corona!!!
Your "fix" sounds like a great way to start carbon tracking inside the
coil form.

Steve