Re: [TCML] Bipolar tesla coil

On 12/23/12 10:48 AM, Kurt Schraner wrote:
A fairly complete report about my version of a bipolar tabletop coil can
be downloaded here:

http://twfpowerelectronics.com/~kurt/EBM-Museums-TC-2.pdf

A very pretty coil.

about 1000 turns on the 2 1/2" x18" secondary, 5 turn primary tapped down to 4 turns. 18nF primary C.

I like the three pipe gently blown gap (because I use one identical to it!).. for low power coils, I've had good luck.. it's more easily adjustable than a two pipe gap, it's only two gaps, so gap losses are low..

That's a fairly high current low voltage NST compared to typical practice here in the US (it's like a 12kV 60 mA in terms of power..) so you might want to change the primary L and C a bit to match your transformer, while keeping the resonant frequency in the same ballpark... (bigger L, smaller C)