Re: [TCML] design idea

Hi Carlos,

This works just fine, and i have done similar things before, and plan
on doing this in the future.  What it does for you is allows impedance
matching between a low voltage bridge that is low impedance, and a
tank circuit that might be more economical to build at a higher
impedance.  But, if you do the engineering, you will find that adding
such a transformer in there is not going to really help the efficiency
(though if done properly, it wont hurt noticably either).

So sure, it can work, but i suggest thinking about *why* you would add
such a transformer.  My reasons were to combine multiple H-bridge
drives, and to conveniently alter my drive impedance (so i could run
more volts on the bridge at less current, so same power but less
Silicon conduction loss) to better match the capacitors i had
available.  The cost is of course, you have added a transformer and
its losses.  Though, one distinct benefit i see is that it allows you
to directly RF ground your tank circuit providing good robustness to
primary strikes (though you gotta make sure your transformer's
insulation is good!).

Thats how i see it, anyway.

Steve Ward