Re: [TCML] Voltage Question

On 1/22/12 2:29 PM, Charles Van Neste wrote:
Jim and Paul,

Thanks that makes too much sense hahaha.  I'll calibrate it with a known voltage (maybe with just a capacitor plate) then I can calculate Eo of the tesla coil (since the e-field drops off exponentially E(d) = Eo *e^(-d/constant)) and that should give me a good estimate of what the voltage at the top is.

Don't try to rely on the field distribution scaling with distance. Keep the probe and measurement configuration identical.

Say you put 100V on the top terminal with a signal generator and you measure 120mV on your E-field probe.

Then you know that there is a 100:0.12 ratio, so if you measure 100V on your E-field probe, you know that the top terminal voltage is 83kV..