Re: [TCML] Voltage - Flame

Antonio wrote:

> If the major diameter is increased with the minor diameter
> fixed the capacitance increases, but the breakout voltage
> doesn't remain the same, but increases too.

Yes, I see.   I ran your examples through my modeling software
and get the same answers as you for C and breakout voltage,
within 0.1%.

So the dimensions are not so decoupled as I thought.  That's
a pity - I was hoping for a simplification there.

No point then, in doing a scatter plot of arc length against
minor diameter.

A topic for discussion then:  Can the max arc length from
a coil be determined from the toroid dimensions alone?

(Assuming that the envelope is long enough for the arc
to fully develop.)

The reasoning behind this question is the suggestion that if
the coil tries to drive the top volts much above the breakout
threshold, it will issue more arcs rather than extending the
ones it has beyond a certain length. Is that 'certain length'
determined just by the toroid dimensions?

--
Paul Nicholson