Re: [TCML] X-Ray Transformer Help

How were you able to know what is inside? If you opened it all the pressurized gas has leaked out, I wouldn't attempt to run it open air, you'll have to use oil in the least, are you sure this isn't a multiplier with the actual transformer at the bottom and that D shaped transformer at the top is actually a choke to filter out the current, are there diodes connected to the caps?
Adam

________________________________
 From: Tim Flood <tflood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 11:37 AM
Subject: [TCML] X-Ray Transformer Help

Need help on a possible off - topic subject. I now have a Picker-Andrex portable x -ray mchine rated at 100Kv at 10 ma. max. This unit is like non I've seen before.

The transformer and other components are contained in a 8 1/2" dia. x 29" vertical can. There is no oil inside, rather it is pressurized with sulfur difluroride gas. The actual transformer
is at the bottom. Connected above are to brick-shaped capacitors. The first is rated at .008 uf at 75KVDCW and a second cap 100 KVDCW. There is a D - shaped transfomer at the very top, along with a few other components. The final output is through a 5000 ohm resistor. All of this is supported between two vertical rods.

I would like to use the transformer to supply power for a project, but I don't know if I can simply use the transformer alone submersed in oil. Or, should I use the assembly as designed? If I can use this I'll have questions on ballast, etc.

Thank you in advance for any help. Please feel free to email me off - list.

Tim Flood