Re: [TCML] secondary connections & RF ground

I realize that your photographs were deleted but they might be helpful. Maybe you could post to Flickr or similar account?

I am still a rook but here is my best understanding of your situation.

For the arcing between the primary and secondary, you will probably need to adjust the spacing. It is probably a coupling issue. I'd start with about 1" between the two, and perhaps adjust the secondary so that the first turn of wire is near the height of the primary. It may be helpful to enter your measurements into Javatc and tweak them a bit until things look good. Then physically adjust the coil.

The method you described for connecting the bottom of the secondary to a lug has worked for me in the past, just make sure the connection is tight (solder is a plus).

As far as the toroid connection, I'd need to see a photo to understand what you mean by "near the cylinder of the secondary". I generally keep the windings tight with a strait connection to a threaded brass stud. I have seen people wrap a few loose turns near the top but have no idea of the benefits or losses of doing such.

Hope this helps!
Good luck

Matthew Edwards