Re: [TCML] Charging a cap to 63% V

NST's can behave in unexpected ways with regard to power processed, vs.
applied voltage and capacitive load.  I performed an experiment to
determine the optimum capacitor value for 15/30 and 15/60 NST's, at 120V
and max Variac (~135V) input voltage.  The experiment
and results are documented at
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B0afsm3K5nFYNGQ3MmJlZGEtYjQ5My00OTJhLTkwNDMtOWEwMjRkYWJkZjAy

While the optimum cap value is less than definitive, one thing is certain.
 Running at a Variac-elevated primary voltage produces a
dramatic increase in processed power.  Further, using a LTR cap value,
particularly at elevated primary voltages, results in far higher charging
currents than indicated by the NST faceplate rating.  I measured the actual
RMS power throughput to the cap from a 15/60 at max Variac, as 939 Watts.
 Bear in mind that this figure is the real power - gap and transformer
losses are excluded from this figure.  So *IF* there were no gap or
transformer losses, the 15kV NST would be charging the cap at an RMS
current of 62.6mA.  Given that actual gap and NST losses are considerable
(I wish I had an actual number...), the actual charging current is FAR
higher than 62 mA.

The short answer is, always run with the Variac set to "11".

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA