Re: [TCML] making a small receiver coil

On 3/21/12 7:23 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
On 3/21/12 5:06 AM, jeff mill wrote:
Guys How can I make, or should I say what is the wiring config for a
receiver coil. I am going to wind one probably 2” dia and maybe 12”
tall ,then use the appropriate topload to tune it to 100k which is
what my tesla is tuned at.

I just realized you wrote this:

I do not want to use a secondary winding
with it .

That makes it a bit more challenging... If you're willing to get "small" sparks, you could basically duplicate your primary. For a good demo, a neon bulb (or perhaps a fluorescent?) might be good. You have to be careful with neon or fluorescent because they'll light up just because of the eField, without the resonant rise from a tuned receiver coil.

If you're working with lower voltages, then your capacitor can be less expensive (e.g. if your primary is 14 turns and 0.01 uF, and you're working at 1kV instead of 20kV, you don't need a string of 942 caps at 2kV each.. a single 0.01 uF 1kV cap will work)

I just want to wire it in such a way that to get a sparking
effect to prove it is receiving via the main tesla or transmitter.
This coil will be about 10 foot away, again with a top load. Should I
put a spark gap points between the coils end that would normally go
straight to ground . or should I go ahead and forget the spark gap
and ground the coil therefore the small streamers will come off the
topload. I am basically asking how to wire the free standing receiver
coil to get “effects”

Easy.. it's just a secondary with no primary. Put it over an RF ground,
get it to resonate, put it in the field, and you're off and running..

If you really want to show that power is transferring because of the
resonance, you have to be a bit careful. (that is, if you had NO
secondary winding, and just hooked a topload up to a wire connected to
the bottom of your main coil, you'd probably get sparks off the small
topload, if it's close enough)

What you'd like is something where you can change the circuit and show
that it picks up power in one state and not in another.

How big is your main coil?

You're going to have trouble making a small coil (with a single layer
winding) resonant at a low frequency.. the L is low, the C is low, so
the fRes is high.

You might be able to do something like wind the bottom part of the coil
with multiple layers (or in segments) so that you can get the L bigger
without having breakdown problems.