From: "BrianB" <brianb@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "tesla help" <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 6:28:31 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] my new coil. how is performance?

James,

Your coil looks great! Good job...

I won't add to the others concerns about strikes to your wood beams and mains wiring but please head their advice...

It's been quite a while but I did extensive testing of a toroidal and ball combination so I'll give you some observations and a few things you might want to try.

- your toroid looks to be the right size for the multiple dancing arks you are seeing. Try lowering it and see if it helps with the corona from the top turns (it should without affecting the performance much).

- if you want longer single arcs increase the toroid size until it gets to the point where it requires a small breakout point to arc. Of course you will have to retune...

- the ball you are using doesn't produce a field big enough to protect the top of the secondary. If you want to go with this look make a small toroid that just fits over the top of the secondary then put the ball on top of it. The field produced should help with the secondary top turn arcs. It may also eliminate the "racing arcs" problem if it is caused by simple breakdown.

- if it was mine I'd lower your current toroid and then place the ball above it and raise it until even breakout comes from the ball and the toroid. This will most likely be higher than you would expect. Of course you would need to do this somewhere with more headroom.

- the overhead environment is affecting your coil so be prepared to make adjustments if you move the coil.

The field shape on the top of a toroid has a small dome shape. If you want to visualize where it is use a toroid that just barely breaks out. Then place a wire sticking up from the center of the toroid and increase it's height until it arcs. Note this height. Then move the wire a set distance out and repeat the height adjust and measurement. Etc,etc.. This isn't a perfect representation of the field but it gets really close with no special tools required...

I hope this is of some help and congratulations...

Regards,
BrianB