Re: [TCML] Variac ballancing chokes re-visited

MICHAEL HARDY wrote:
I came across this web page after using goggle.

http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/u/bunnykiller/parallel.html

It refers to my "A)" scenario as I suspected  was presented by
"bunnykiller".  "Connection 3" (on the right side of the page) seems
like the best method because each 'choke' has a dedicated winding in
correspondence to each variac.  Therefore a 30A variac passes thru a
#8 wire winding (well within the current capacity of the wire). Can
someone clarify the winding direction in relation to the H1,H2
winding and H3,H4 winding. I see it as if it were one center tapped
winding H2 and H3 would be tied together and be the center tap, is
this correct?The other scenario I presented used 2 chokes to feed a
3rd choke, which would see 90A max thru #8 wire. Probably a bit too
much stress.

There is also another method, by which you can use two chokes to connect three variacs in parallel, as demonstrated by diagram "A" in the following image:

http://i.imgur.com/kJKPx.gif

I used that topology on my power cabinet, and used two small microwave transformers, stripped of their original windings and rewound, as the cores.

Jon