Re: [TCML] tank circuit power

On 5/15/12 10:20 PM, Bart B. Anderson wrote:
Hi Jim..

Hey, I'm just gonna put something out here.

The main question I gathered from the person inquiring was do you need
large copper on the primary? For SG, usually not, but you may need
adequate spacing between turns simply because the turn to turn voltage
is higher for an SG coil.

Yes.. and big diameter helps with corona and other breakdown too.

For a solid state coil (SSTC, DRSSTC, etc),
your better to go big on the tubing, but narrow spacing is usually okay
(low turn to turn voltage).

yes. THey tend to run lower voltages and higher currents.

 Heating depends on I^2R losses over time and
the heat that will occur on the primary at that inner turn or two if
very different for SG compared to SS. We can attempt rms numbers in the
primary, but if your gonna do that, don't leave out proximity effects
that occur from circulation currents from turn to turn and whatever
else.

I don't know that there's any extra current turn to turn, but there probably is an uneven current distribution "around" the tube.

 There is much that goes into the heating of a primary coil (time
of running is a big factor) and it is not a simple calculation. For most
SG coilers, power is low enough to not require a large primary tubing
(1/4" to 3/8" suits most everyone). I would bet that most coilers would
say "i never realized any heat in my primary". But there are other
coilers that have run higher power on SG's and also many SS coilers that
would say "damn, primary got real hot". Of course, one of the side
affects to solid state coils is that if the primary support doesn't
melt, we tend to not pay attention to temperature. Then when it melts,
we freak out. This is much less of a concern to SG coilers, but it can
and does happen.

yes...

And while low, it is significant. In my examples, you'd still be dissipating 100 or so watts in the primary (out of a couple thousand watts total 15 Joules/bang * 120 bangs/second is 1800 Watts, 1.2 joules lost/bang * 120 bangs second is 144 Watts..

The real question is "how much performance increase will I get by changing from AWG 12 wire to 1/4" copper tubing or 3/4" copper tubing, or something like that.

Take care,
Bart