From: Tuomas Koivurova <tkoivuro@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, May 16, 2012 8:50 pm
Subject: Re: [TCML] ANOTHER ONE DOWN, ANOTHER 37667 BITES THE DUST

37667 Maxwells are not useless!
You are simply overvolting them.
37667 is a 500pps polypropylene capacitor with 30nF 35kVDC ratings.
hat is most important is their reversal rating which is quite low,
nly 15%.
So what does it mean? It means that when the capacitor gets charged to
ransformer peak voltage and then discharged through spark gap to a
oil creating LC circuit with relatively high Q there will be voltage
eversal which is very close to 100%. That reversal creates potential
ifference over dielectric which is equal to 2x Vpeak of your
ransformer!
With 14.4kVAC pig we have 20.45kV peak-to-peak and after first primary
ycle the capacitors dielectric "sees" voltage stress equal to 40.9kV.
37667 is rated for 1.15 x 35kV = 40.25kV peak-to-peak!
So even with perfectly tuned sync gap with no resonant rise or other
ffects that can be seen with async AC driven coils you are exceeding
he voltage ratings of your capacitor.

tay within the ratings and you will be fine. I have trusty pig driven
C spark gapper where i have 80kVpp reversal handling capability (45kV
C and 80% reversal rating) and my worst case reversal is 60kVpp.
ever had any troubles with that and i have pushed it so hard that my
rimary was hot to touch! All caps are still fine and will be for long
ime.