Re: [TCML] Re-visited - Newbie question - Where does all the energy go?

So, if I understand correctly your problem is that the coil is producing small sparks of about 10 inches, is that right.

It seems that you have a working coil, as you are getting sparks, which you have been able to tune to some maximium length using the primary coil.
So i don't think it is a tuning issue.

Because you are able to tune it, i think you may have a spark gap issue.
What is the separation of you gap electrodes?
You can easily set a static gap, by running the gap directly across the transformers with out any of the tesla coil circuitry.
You should find the max distance the just the transformers will arc, then make it a little bit smaller just for good measure.
That should be your optimum spark gap distance.

Also, the air flow across your gap is a very important factor in the coils operation.

if you have a shop vac or something that can move lots of air. try blowing it directly across the gap and running the coil. I would bet that it will show a large improvement spark length wise .

Please note, that it is advised that you have a terry filter on the output of your NST's to protect them.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."