Re: [TCML] Re-visited - Newbie question - Where does all the energy go?

Peter,

I had issues similar to what you describe way back in the day when i was just starting out.

Here is an easy test to help you determine if the spark gap is the source of the prooblem.

Take a hunk of 1 or 1.4" pvc pipe and drill a hole at one end such that you can tread a 1/4" bolt threw each side. hence creating a gap between the two bolts within the pipe. use those crimp on connectors to connect it to the tank circuit.

Then tape it to the blowing end of a high velocity source of air, shop vac, electric leaf blower, etc.
You may be able to get it to work with compressed air, but i have never tried. my guess is that you would need to have the air nozzle blowing directly onto the gap.
I like my approach because it can be set up in about 3 minutes
Start with the gap being very small, run your air source a nd see what the coil does.
The improvement that I observed when I tried this vrs my first copper tube gap was astonishing (build differently that yours, mine forced air between the pipes, to aid in quenching, but only had a computer fan as an air source)
Basically it told me that quenching was a very important factor, which was not being met by my previous design.

But others on the list have brought up a good point, have you completely verified that both sides of your transformer are still good?

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."