Re: [TCML] Re: Toroid

When I was in high school (ah, those halcyon days of yore) we built a TC with a center-tapped secondary 11" dia and 48" long. The primary was 10 t of 1/4" copper tubing 24" dia. We used 15 one-gallon mayonnaise jars (wide mouth) lined in and out with al foil within 3" of the top. We didn't know for nuthin about top loads, so it was just the bare coil ends. It worked fine. We figured the capacitance of each jar was about I nf. Lots of cool blue light around the top of the foil. Oh, yeah, three 15-30s in parallel, if I remember right. It's nice if your friend's dad runs a neon sign shop.

---Carl

-----Original Message----- From: jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 30, 2012 7:59 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Re: Toroid

Alright, so you might just have a decent power supply, if you run the NST on 120v how far can you draw an arc? In order to get a working coil, your going to need to do a little math, just making a capacitor array and hoping its close is not going to work out unless you are really really lucky.
I suggest you find a a way to calculate the capacitance.
If you send me one and pay for return postage, I would be happy to give you an exact measurement with one of my labs capacitance meters.

Knowing what I know now it appears your coil is just not in tune.

Decreasing primary turns increases the resonant frequency.
Increasing primary turns decreases the resonant frequency.

Decreasing capacitance increases the resonant frequency.
Increasing capacitance decreases the resonant frequency.

So if you increase your primary turns and notice longer sparks, you have decreased the frequency. Now you should increase your capacitance and see if you get longer arcs. Like wise if you decrease the primary turns and notice longer sparks you have increase the frequency and you should decrease your capacitance and see if you get longer arcs.

repeat until you get the longest sparks.

But I will say that just doing the math and figuring out the proper capacitance, and then determining the capacitance of your cap before hand will prove highly beneficial to you in the long run.

You could actually figure out the capacitance value by using a neon bulb (radio shack) a resistor, and a dc source basically you charge the capacitor from the DC source ( ~ 100 or so volts or something like that) through the resistor (largish) and place the bulb across the capacitor , It will flash and a regular interval. and this can let you calculate how quickly the cap charges to a certain voltage, for a certain easily measured resistor. and through a little math you can determine the capacitance. If you try this email me off list and I would be happy to help you out with the math.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."