[TCML] Measuring Isecondary: Current transformer too close to primary?

Looking through the archives for current transformer theory, I found this:
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/1999/February/msg00081.html
	"I was using a current transformer and (this time) a usual scope 10:1
	probe.
	As I was about 40 cm from the primary, probably the magnetic field induced
	by the primary was stronger than the field induced by the secondary base
	lead passing through the same transformer.
	The result was that I measured an attenuated version of the primary
	current, NOT the secondary current."

Is this actually possible? Since the primary windings do not pass through the current transformer toroid, my understanding is that any fields from the primary would cancel out, and therefore little or no influence from the primary should show up in the secondary of the CT.