From: "Bert Hickman" <bert.hickman@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2012 10:29:07 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] maxwell Capacitor

Hi Jay,

This capacitor is a double-ended polypropylene film-foil pulse cap that
can be safely used in a TC tank circuit.

Although MOST Maxwell 31xxx-series caps are rated at 1 pulse per second
(PPS), this particular 0.09 uF 40 kV pulse capacitor is an exception. As
long as you keep the RMS current below 25A, you should be able to run
this cap at virtually any break rate.

Please note that a single capacitor should be limited to a maximum AC
charging source of about 40/3 kV RMS (or about 13.3 kV RMS) to prevent
overvolting during ringing in the tank circuit. The cap is rated for 20%
voltage reversal, so the above voltage derating will keep it in a safe
operating region. Since this cap uses older film-foil technology, it is
not self-healing - be careful not to accidentally overvolt it.

The spec sheet for this cap can be found here:
www.ga-esi.com/EP/capacitors/cap-specs/31662.pdf

Bert
--
Bert Hickman