Re: [TCML] Induction demonstration

> I would like to make some simple demonstrations of induction
> and capacitance using 60hz AC power. For example taking a
> 100' ball of #12 THHN and powering a light bulb
> and while bulb is still energized unroll the ball of wire
> and show how the light bulb becomes brighter. I don't think
> it will become brighter because I believe the ball of wire
> will only delay the time it takes to light the bulb.

       One would need to run the numbers.  Or try it.
       The rolled wire will have more inductance, which will
       show up as reactance, which will reduce the current
       flow which WILL dim the light.  Whats NOT known
       (yet) is whether the inductance, when rolled, is ENOUGH
       to visibly dim the light.

       (The other sneaky part is that the resistance of a
       light bulb (assuming common filament lamp) varies a
       lot (roughly 10X) from cold to hot: higher R when
       hot)

> It will not prevent the bulb from burning at full capacity.
       Need to run the numbers.  It might.
       the suggestion to try a do it your self core is a
       good one, i think.

> However this is along the lines of what I am thinking about.
> Does anyone have any suggestions that they would not mind sharing?
      Be Safe: could 6/12/24 vac be used?
      Try the demo beforehand.

      best
       dwp