Re: [TCML] Single MOT Coil?

This is a very salient point here that I failed to emphasize as well as
Jeff. My MOT coils always use at least 0.1 uF in the tank cap. The little
coil I mentioned earlier is actually just under at 0.094 uF, but still a
large tank cap. Larger coils I have run with 0.18 uF and even a bit over
0.2 uF. The way I always figured it was just a stored energy thing - i.e.
you need a big cap when you run at low voltages to get the power throughput
that you want. However, it should really also help with quenching a spark
gap, since the larger tank caps seem more like a short circuit (when
discharged) and thus can drop the output voltage of the MOT more
effectively during the time that it takes the gap to recover.

- Jason