[TCML] color salts for sparks on tesla coils

Keeping this TC related..

Both Sr and Li salts make for red sparks, but the color is distinctly different. I used to soak tennis balls in various salt solutions and use them as ground strike targets and/or suspend them in a jacob's ladder.

These days, finding out what ions make what colors and how to get blue without antimony is the work of a few minutes googling.

I don't know that there's any real difference in availability between SrCl2 and LiCl. Li salts might be less toxic (chemically similar to Na and K, after all). The nitrate salts also work, and have the advantage of having some oxygen in the mix. You have to look up the solubilities.

Li metal is something that is very difficult to get a hold of without attracting attention, because it's used in methamphetamine synthesis.