Re: [TCML] How temperature effects the tesla coil...

On 1/4/13 12:25 PM, plasticanvil wrote:
Hi Jim I'm in 8th grade. we have a small voltage meter but are unsure
how to use it as the last one got fried by our tesla coil. We also
have a friend with a lot of electrical equipment but i do not know
what he has so for now we just have the small meter. Our spark gap
cannot be changed because the tesla coil will not work unless the
spark gap is in the exact position it is in now (small enough to
slide a post card through). Our tesla coil is a table top version
made with a bug zapper it's only 14" tall.

What are you using for the topload?

Can you change the primary tuning?

What might be a good experiment is to vary the size of the topload, and then see if the primary tuning change required matches the theory..

The secondary resonant frequency determined by the L of the secondary (fixed) and the C of the secondary (some Cself from the winding, some Ctop from the topload).

This gives you a good scientific method thing..
You can *predict* what the results of your experiment should be by using analysis (i.e. you have a hypothesis to test)

You can do the experiment...

You can compare the results of the experiment with the theory.

If you can find a way to measure the resonant frequency (there's a lot of ways to do this that are fairly simple, with improvised test equipment... your friend might have what's needed) that's even better.

Jonah

----- Original Message ---- From: Jim Lux <jimlux@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> To:
tesla@xxxxxxxxxx Sent: Fri, January 4, 2013 3:00:54 PM Subject: Re:
[TCML] How temperature effects the tesla coil...