Re: [TCML] NST Questions

Looks like a solid state NST to me. Coil and core NST's usually come in a fairly large/heavy metal box, with ribbed ceramic insulators for the output.

Also, 5kV is pretty low. 10 - 15 kV is better.

________________________________
 From: Michael Gray <graymp89@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2013 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [TCML] NST Questions

Adam, I'm pretty sure it's not switch mode, but I've not a great deal of
experience with transformers so I could be wrong. Why do you ask; does it
look like a switch mode NST to you?

http://vinklightingsolutions.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/10.000-50-RESINBLOCK-2000-COMPACT-ENG.pdf

Matt, thanks for the response. Very helpful.

Would you guys say that this would be suitable for use as a PFC cap?

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/polypropylene-film-capacitors/3888033/

It's a 'run' type polypropylene film cap.

Cheers