RE: [TCML] 6" Tesla coil plexiglass secondary - FOR SALE

Not to "rock the boat" here guys, but my coil is totally built out of acrylic and it never gets warm.  The ONLY thing that does is the spark gap.

-----Original Message-----
From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of dfroula@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 11:31 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] 6" Tesla coil plexiglass secondary - FOR SALE

David,

At the time I got into TC work, there were enough cautionary notes about PVC secondaries that I just decided to bypass the issue and go with the plexiglass. The plexi secondaries have always worked quite well for me, not to say others have not gotten perfectly acceptable operation from PVC.

The one 6" PVC TC secondary I made was a nightmare to wind. I mounted it on a lathe, but could never get it centered correctly, as the PVC tube was so irregular in shape. The plexiglass extruded tubes I bought from Midland Plastics were much more dimensionally consistent and easily centered for winding.

Electrically, I have built VLF receiving loops by winding wire on untreated pine, even on mounted doors with nails on each corner. They worked fine, although receiving antennas are quite another thing from a high-power Tesla coil.

I was never able to find much quantitative documentary evidence on the benefits of one over the other. I just played it safe. In the end, it seemed to end up being a "religious" issue.

It does look nice, though! I recall one coiler who wanted to fill his plexiglass secondary with neon. I wonder how that worked out!!! ;-)

Best,

Don