Re: [TCML] A video of my coil, and how much should I it for?

Great looking coil Jay. You should be proud of yourself.

On 3/8/2013 5:17 PM, jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Setting a price is kind of hard, but I have seen similarly sized units for sale on ebay for around 1200 or so. Obviously you should ask for at least the cost of parts you put into it, perhaps figure out how many hours it took you to build it and add some multiple of that to it, and then subtract a percentage due to the wear its already endured from you playing with it.

The biggest thing you need to consider though is how will the coil fair being run everyday for years, sure your capacitors and home made transformer may work fantastic for you now, But your total run time is still probably way under 120 minutes, But how about after running for 2 min every hour for month after month. Is the museum going to be upset when your coil breaks down after only a month of use? Probably.

I am not saying yours will break down, it looks like your coil is of a pretty high craftsmanship, but I am pretty sure that DC cox for example used to de-rate the heck out of his MMC caps, as to extend their life time significantly in the museum service world. Similarly for transformers.

If you do sell it, I would also be sure to get a signed statement from the buyer pretty much saying that the buyer is solely liable for anything they do with it or that occurs as a result of it after they take possession, you really don't want this coming back to bite you in a year because someones pacemaker stops working, or some crazy museum attendee jumps the safety rope and tries to grab a lightning bolt like thor. You get the idea.

Thanks,
John "Jay" Howson IV

"Why thank you, I will be happy to take those electrons off your hands."

----- Original Message -----
From: "james hutton" <jameshutton@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 3:05:23 PM
Subject: [TCML] A video of my coil, and how much should I it for?

Hey guys, just thought I would share my coil with you guys again.Some of you might have seen some parts in this video,but here is just a video overview of my coil I made last year: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuZs9B05RZA(liking the video would really help me out by the way)I just wanted to thank you all again for your help with building this.As a highschool student at the time, I had many questions, and you were all very patient and extremely helpful!I also would like some advice. I am planning on trying to sell this to my local science museum since they do not have a tesla coil on display (ridiculous).However I am just wondering what price I should ask for it. Obviously Tesla Coils don't have much market so it's hard for me to tell what I should sell it for.I want to be reasonable, but at the same time, I do need money for my Electrical Engineering courses at University.any suggestions??? _______________________________________________
Tesla mailing list
Tesla@xxxxxxxxxx