Re: [TCML] Burnt Joint (Cap Bank)

In addition to a breakout point, place an RF grounded wire "target" near the breakout point. Start really close if you have to. Then try moving it out a bit and retune. Repeat. Eventually you should get breakout without the target.

----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Tuck <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, May 7, 2013 4:14 PM
Subject: RE: [TCML] Burnt Joint (Cap Bank)

Michael,
You have correctly followed through with a logical test sequence, and it
should work, so I am wondering if your problem may lay with having a toroid
that has a minor diameter that is too big for the output voltage you are
producing. The bigger the diameter, the more top volts are needed to achieve
breakout, and the secondary geometry looks a bit small for the toroid size
chosen.
The fact that the spark gap alters both its appearance and sound when
everything is in circuit, points to the fact that the tank circuit (the cap
& primary inductance) are all present.
You don't say, or I missed it, what the output voltage of your neon tranny
is, so that may be insufficient for that toroid size. Or it could be the
tuning is way out, or a combination.
Try putting a breakpoint (BP) on the toroid and seeing if you get anything
then. A BP will allow the toroid to breakout at a lower voltage.
Also either download JAVATC or use the webpage version (
http://www.classictesla.com/java/javatc/javatc.html  ) and enter all your
data into that and then see what it gives for optimal tuning, or the tap
position.
The strike rail, as already commented, needs a 2 inch gap in it somewhere,
although while it will cause a loss of power as it is, it won't be enough to
cause the current trouble 99% of the time.
Also have you checked the secondary to make sure there are no shorted turns
at all from bad winding? Javatc will give you the DC resistance of the
secondary, and you could check this with an ohmmeter to see if you get the
same (or near).
As it's a new build, and your first coil, (don't shout at the PC screen
now....but....) you have checked the top secondary winding is actually
electrically connected to the toroid?
Good luck and hope this helps. Others more knowledgeable may chip in as
well, so hopefully you'll get it running in the end.

PS: I notice you have used wood for one of the gaps to be mounted on. This
is not a good idea, as wood will conduct unless very dry.
May pay you to power it up (working or not) in the dark, and look for any
tracking on the MMC board or the wood.

Regards
Phil Tuck

www.hvtesla.com