From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Mike Gray
Sent: 20 May 2013 22:21
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Burnt Joint (Cap Bank)

This is straying from the original topic of the thread, but follows from
the story told and the general direction of the responses, so I'll post it
here. Not sure what the general guidelines are for this, a lot of
information pertaining to my situation is in this thread too...

With regard to making a new, wider secondary coil, I've contacted a
manufacturer of PVCu water drainage piping in the UK asking for the
electrical characteristics. They have given me a comprehensive technical
datasheet and whilst the electrical properties given are limited, it is
enough to determine suitability:

Volume resistivity: 1050 Ohms/cm3
Breakdown voltage: 30 kv/mm
Power factor: 0.02 at 800 Hz
Dielectric constant: 3.4 at 800 Hz

So for a 50cm tall secondary, the induced voltage from top to bottom would
need to be greater than 30*500=15,000kv or 15Mv in order to cause
dielectric breakdown. This should be fine...

However I'm struggling with the volume resistivity figure. Not sure how to
read it or convert it to a more useful figure. Surely the resulting
resistance of some arbitrary volume, say 5cm^3, of the material would
depend greatly on the geometry and dimensions of the shape in which it is
formed? i.e. a long tube of small cross-sectional area vs a short tube of
large cross-sectional area. So what does this figure really mean with
respect to my secondary coil? Is it suitable?