[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] fluid quenched rotary spark gap

On 4/9/14 11:12 AM, Yurtle Turtle wrote:
Is sodium hex what is used in medium voltage (up to 25 kV) breaker 'bottles"? If so, a static gap minght be a better approach in this. We used breakers at work up to 25 kV as breakers and switches, as it quenches arcing to protect the electrodes. The bottles can be purchased ready made, so no need for fabrication. They rarely see several operations per day, so I don't know how they'd perform at 120 bps.

You're thinking sulfur hexafluoride (SF6)...

people have built high rep rate spark gaps in SF6. Actually for high rep rates, hydrogen works better (good thermal conductivity, etc.)