[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] srsg to vari speed rsg [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] srsg to vari speed rsg

A VFD makes most sense if you use a DC resonant charging system. A properly designed DC resonant design will allow you to smoothly vary output voltage and power without the need for any phase-syncing, since the tank cap is always recharged between firings at any firing rate. This approach works especially well for high power systems using 3-phase gap motors.

However, A VFD can be used to make an asynchronous variable speed gap. Using a VFD in your existing system would work in a fashion similar to driving a DC motor from a variable DC supply. You WILL lose the capability of truly syncing and properly phasing your motor to the line. Also, some speeds near multiples of line frequency have the potential to overvolt your tank cap or HV transformer, so make sure you have a safety gap bridging your rotary gap or a Terry filter.

I like Jim's idea of driving your HV transformer from the same VFD and using a true synchronous motor would permit you to sync the gap to the line. I'm not sure just how well the VFD, HV transformer, and motor will all play together, and I don't recall any coilers using this technique before. If you try this method, you'll probably need to use a fixed mechanical phase adjustment on your gap since the Freau controller's phase relationship will change with operating frequency.

Bert
--
Bert Hickman
Stoneridge Engineering

coils@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hey everyone, I have been using an srsg and a Freu phase shifter for
some time now, with great results. I am planning a new rsg with
variable speed. My question; with vari speed, will I still need to
tweek the angle of the moving electrodes to stationary electrodes? I
have not decided on ac or dc vari speed, but if I were to go with ac,
could I use a Freu phase shifter with something like a vfd, or one of
the ACTech speed controlers?

thanks for your thoughts,

Cheers