[Home][2014 Index] Re: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference

My 25 kVA 14.4 kV 120/240 pig was liberated with a chainsaw and ropes. The only thing it cost me was an upgrade chip from a dude that had a truck, and an old 486.

________________________________
 From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 4:02 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] NIST High Voltage Laboratory Testing / Safety Reference

Hi,

Not trying to still Adam's thunder here at all, as I'm sure that he will want to address these questions since it was directed to his previous post. I was going to comment on your question #1, though, about "the cost of such a transformer" from my personal experience. Just a few months ago, I happened to locate such a 25 kVA, 14.4 kV rated "pole pig" transformer on ebay that was listed for $0.99, with no reserve. After actually calling the seller (he had listed his personal phone number on the ebay listing for any further inquiries) and asking him how soon he would require a personal pick up from the winning bidder, I just through a $50 bid on it not really expecting to win the auction, as I didn't really need another pole pig. However, only one other bidder placed two "low-ball" bids of $15 and then $25, so at the auction's end, I was the proud owner of a like new 25 kVA polemount transformer for $26! It was a pretty long round trip of around 16 hours
to pick it up in my p/u truck but well worth it, considering that even with my gas-guzzling heavy duty rated V-8 truck, I still have <$250 invested into this beast. At 400 lbs, that's just 62.5 cents / pound ;^)

The bottom line is that it will probably take some persistence and patience to find one at a deal like this and it be within a day's drive, but it can happen. There are transformers like this all the time on ebay, but typically they have opening bids or "buy-it-nows" of $750 and up, not including freight S&H. It may take you a bit of time searching but if you are patient, you can probably get one much cheaper. You could also try your local electrical utility company or maybe a local scrap metal recycler, or simply a request to this list for someone willing to sell one of theirs.

David