[Home][2014 Index] [TCML] Homemade Crookes tube does emit X-rays [Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

[TCML] Homemade Crookes tube does emit X-rays

A while back I mentioned a homemade Crookes tube I had a local neon sign maker make for me. I had questions about safely using it. Did it emit x-rays? This launched me on a long search for radiation detectors, etc., which has been enlightening and fun. I now own a couple of vintage instruments for detecting radiation.

One of these is a Victoreen 740F "Cutie Pie" survey meter. This ray gun-like device will detect x-rays if the beta shield is removed from the detector tube. See
http://national-radiation-instrument-catalog.com/new_page_26.htm

Now, powered by a 6 volt battery, ZVS driver, and flyback, the Crookes tube emits no detectable radiation. When I switch to 10 kv induction coil, things changed! I got readings up to 20+ mR/h from the center of the tube, and easy 10 mR/h from the ends. Even 6 feet away I detected 5 mR/h. Needless to say, I shut the tube off. I won't be using it with the induction coil again, I think.

Does this all sound reasonable?