From: David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxx>
To: tesla <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Mon, Dec 29, 2014 5:46 pm
Subject: [TCML] Stun-gun Tesla coil circuit (and ridiculous voltage claims)

Hi all,

I came across something today and I hope the moderators will allow a bit of
latitude here and let me get some feedback from the genius-level collective
think tank of this illustrious list. ;-) It is my understanding that a typical
stun gun uses a small solid state pulsed circuit to produce the high voltage
discharges - similar to an OLTC circuit (or is it more akin to a Marx bank?).
One thing that I can't help but notice though is how the voltage claims of
commercial stun gun manufacturers has reached ludicrous levels and was wondering
if anyone else has noticed this trend? 50 kV, 100 kV, 200 kV, 500 kV, 1 MV, 5MV,
and now - 49 MV? Just how much voltage does it take to "stun" someone, anyway?
:-D

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silver-Scorpion-X-High-Voltage-Stun-Gun-LED-Light-Rechargeable-USB-Cable-/121525955612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c4b82ec1c

I'm thinking "49 million volts" should be in the same range as the potentials
seen with real lightning :-) I do realize that the nature of the voltage source
as well as radius of curvature of the electrodes, along with atmospheric
conditions can cause some widely varying spark discharge lengths vs. a given
potential, but the stun gun manufacturer voltage claims have gotten to the point
that they insult the intelligence! Obviously, there is little or no verification
or oversight to the outrageous voltage claims of these devices. Thoughts?

David